Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Venice

Ah Venice. I've been to Venice three times and each time was a completely different experience. This time, however, was something totally unexpected. Venice was totally flooded. It had been raining when we arrived but we didn't expect the whole city to be covered by 6 inches of water. To say the experience was one I'll never forget is an understatement. I feel kind of bad because my friend didn't really get to see the positive side of Venice. I'm not a huge fan of this city but I have had some really lovely memories there so it's not all bad. I didn't take too many photos because I was scared of my camera getting wet but hopefully you can see what I mean.

venice flood

After some debate, I just took off my shoes and walked around barefoot.
venice flood me

The winds were very strong, so the city looked like an umbrella graveyard.
Europetrip 1352

The bridge of Sighs looked as lovely as ever though
Europetrip 1351

Europetrip 1349

No gondolas were heading out that day.
Europetrip 1341

venice sheena me gondolas

The canals were still picturesque.
Europetrip 1329

Europetrip 1324

You can see how high the water actually came up in the canals and how useless my umbrella was... :/
venice me

Europetrip 1323

Note if you are ever in Venice when this happens. Not all of the water taxis run when there is high water. We sat at a stop for about an hour before we decided to walk and ask the woman selling tickets. She looked at me like an idiot. We had to walk across the city to catch the taxi that could bring us out to one of the islands to stay with our couch surfer. By the time we got there, we were in a bad mood. However, our couch surfer was a really nice guy who was a glass blower by trade. He took us to a DELICIOUS pizza place and taught us a bit about glass blowing. It made the trek out there worth it (almost). I'm glad we got to see another part of Venice!

I'll try not to let this experience taint my opinion of this unique city. If you've never been, it's definitely worth a stop!

6 comments:

  1. Wow, the flooding is a little crazy! I love that you just went ahead and went barefoot in it anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, that sucks that it was rainy and flooded! It sounds like you made the best of it, though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa, that flooding! I didn't know that it got that bad. Still a gorgeous city though!

    Gina Michele

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a very pretty and unique city. I was blown away by the flooding! At least it was late spring and the water wasn't too cold!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We tried to! I grumbled about it then but it really is quite hilarious to look back on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Better to get my feet wet than my shoes! Skin dries faster :)

    ReplyDelete