Friday, July 8, 2011

Blogger Book Club - June Review

Hi everyone! I hope some people got to read the Sugar Queen and will be up for a discussion/questions.

The Sugar Queen (Random House Reader's Circle)

I thought this was a light, fun book. Even though the plausibility of this story was lacking (I mean what 20-something person would only leave the house when her mom did?) I thought it was a good read. In my book club discussion, my friend Laura said she thought the characters were a little flat and I have to agree. I wish we could have learned more about each character throughout the story instead of just lightly touching on multiple people. I also wish the author had given a better explanation for why the mom was so terrible. I didn't want to like but maybe we weren't supposed to.

Did anyone else get a chance to read this?

The next book is a book I just finished called The Winter Sea. It wasn't for my book club but I really liked it. I do love everything Scotland but the story was really compelling . It is a historical fiction/romance which is one of my favorite genres second only to mysteries :)

Here is the review!

In the spring of 1708, an invading Jacobite fleet of French and Scottish soldiers nearly succeeded in landing the exiled James Stewart in Scotland to reclaim his crown.

Now, Carrie McClelland hopes to turn that story into her next bestselling novel. Settling herself in the shadow of Slains Castle, she creates a heroine named for one of her own ancestors and starts to write.

But when she discovers her novel is more fact than fiction, Carrie wonders if she might be dealing with ancestral memory, making her the only living person who knows the truth-the ultimate betrayal-that happened all those years ago, and that knowledge comes very close to destroying her...

No comments:

Post a Comment