Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Halloween DIY - Paranormal Portraits

I wasn't going to post about this because I thought, "This is too easy to do a DIY for."  However, I got compliments at my party about them so I thought I would show you all!

10.30.12 007

It's pretty simple but here's what you need:
A couple of frames
Black spray paint (optional)
Red Christmas lights
Printer paper
Scissors or exacto knife
Tape
Electricity

I just thrifted a couple of frames and spray painted them black. If you already have black frames or want them to stay the original color then you can skip this step.

Next, I went online to find cool vintage photographs. I found it was MUCH easier to use photos where the subject is larger or the image has only 1 or 2 people. Shit was getting crazy when I tried to do a group photo. Also, use heavier weight paper when you print them so they can hold the weight of the lights.

Take the glass out and the backs off of the frames. Take the photo and poke a hole in the eyes of the person with your scissors. Arrange the photo how you want it and then place the lights. I suggest using older lights that are already stretched if possible. I had a brand new box and I had to use ever other light for my photos. It worked out though.

Tape the lights to the back of the photo.  Put the backing back on the frame and tape it down if necessary (it will be).  Try not to curse when the lights fall out of the eyes or the picture pops out of the front of the frame. It will happen but be patient!  Place the frames near an outlet either on your counter or a table. Plug in and voila!

10.30.12 001

10.30.12 002



4 comments:

  1. AHHHH hahaha oh my god these are 100% certified amazing. I'm terrified and happy just looking at them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of the most awesome DIY's I've seen - too fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scary, vintage and fun. What else could you want? :)

    ReplyDelete