Friday, April 1, 2011

FBFF and Favorite Finds Friday!

Finally getting back into the swing of FBFF questions! First, here is a favorite find of mine!

teal skirt

teal skirt close

I got this skirt at the Two Birds vintage event that I told you about here and in more detail here. I can't wait to wear this. I feel like it is a "no tights" skirt and should therefore be worn in the spring. I can't wait to debut it!

Now for FBFF! If you want to know more or see other bloggers answers then head over to Modly Chic!

1. Guest posts are a good way to gain new exposure. What do you think is the appropriate way to go about securing a guest spot? Well, I have never done a guest post but I think responding to tweets asking for guest posters or wait for someone to ask. I'm not sure it's appropriate to go around asking to guest post. Those people don't know you or your blog so it would be odd. Plus, if someone emailed me asking to do a post and I didn't know them, I would think it was unusual.

2. Leaving comments is essential to growing your blog. But how can you
leave a comment without coming across as ‘Follow Me. Follow Me!’? I think if your comment is genuine or shows that your actually read the post, that is the best way. I've done this and gotten some bloggers coming back to my blog and posting a comment. Plus, if you continually leave comments or send tweets, the other blogger (hopefully) will see that you have good things to say and follow you as well. I personally hate getting messages or comments that say "Great outfit! Follow my blog."

3. We’ve all gotten a mass email at one time or another asking for blog exposure, a link exchange, etc… But the mass emails don’t work. How do you make your email stand out from the crowd? First off, I don't think mass emails are the way to go to get your blog out there. I dislike getting FBFF group emails that are just asking people to follow or something. I have checked out blogs that have given great advice to someone else, posted an interesting weekly post idea, etc. I just delete all the other emails about following. If you really want to get your name out there, engage with me first through comments or a response to an email. Then, once people see that you are involved and want to help others, they will likely be more receptive to other kinds of email. I think the more personal the better.

4. In interacting with other bloggers where do you draw the line between seeking support and begging for exposure? I have a really hard time asking for exposure. I think people are able to tell if you just want them to follow you or if you are asking a genuine question. For instance: I had responded to 2 tweets about bloggers redesigning their blogs. I gave them kind feedback and expressed my excitement for their new designs. Then, when I recently redesigned mine, I mentioned them in my tweet and asked them what they thought. One of the 2 wrote really nice words back. I think this was much more of an honest approach than just asking them to look at mine.

5. What’s one rule of engagement error you made and how have you remedied that? I am pretty shy and bad at promoting myself. My rule of engagement error is most likely not engaging enough. I have become a lot more comfortable responding to people's tweets even if I don't "know" them. I think (especially with more popular bloggers) you really have to engage them a lot before they will respond. This can be frustrating but I think you just have to prove that you are worth it!

3 comments:

  1. Really good answers. I relate to being shy and also struggle with self-promotion. Perhaps that's our "Minnesota Nice" showing through? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like to think so! I'm too "nice" to self-promote. Yeah, that's the ticket.

    ReplyDelete
  3. so funny, when i first saw that skirt, i was thinking to myself how cute it is...and then i continued reading. ha! love your answers and totally agree with you, especially about #3.

    ReplyDelete