Friday, January 7, 2011

Compare and contrast

I just recently joined FBFF and this is my first time answering questions. I really like this week's questions because I find them highly applicable to the situation I'm in right now. Just starting out, it can be hard to NOT compare yourself to others.

1. Have you ever looked at someone's blog and thought yours will never measure up?
Oh all the time. I just started my blog and really got into fashion by looking at bloggers. Obviously there are some bloggers who have tons of sponsors, quit their jobs and 2/3 of their wardrobe is stuff they got for free. I get jealous but I have to think that it may come in time and if it doesn't, oh well. I work in a totally non creative field so it is hard for me to find inspiration in coworkers and I don't get to hone my craft by writing at work. I know that it will take a while to feel comfortable taking pictures and writing. I do this for fun and to improve my own sense of style. Not to make a bunch of money and get free stuff (although that would be great).

2. Do you (did you) feel pressure to meet some kind of undefined standard for fashion bloggers?
I do feel pressure. I know that anyone can start a fashion blog but not everyone is successful. This makes me feel that there is some sort of formula for success, readers, sponsors etc. I don't want to copy anyone but I want to live up to what other people are doing. I hope to some day remove that pressure but it is there for now. :)

3. Many established fashion bloggers are also extraordinary DIYers, bakers, and crafty people. Do you think you need to combine all of these things to be successful at blogging?
I am not extraordinary at an any type of craft. I'm a good baker, mediocre sewer and can't build an IKEA bookshelf without help. That being said, I think it's kind of fun to have tutorials/projects that showcase the person's personality if that is something they like to do. I don't gravitate toward blogs that have all of this kind of stuff or avoid blogs that don't have them. I love each blog for the person's style and not what else they have going on in their life.

4. The most successful blogs are the ones that have their own personal voice - how are you developing your voice or how did you find yours?
I am still working on this. I just try to write with the humor and voice that I have in real life. I am not the best writer so sometimes my thoughts don't translate well and I end up sounding stupid or something. I will just try to keep being myself and hopefully that will come through in my writing.

5. Toot your own horn... what's one thing you do that is unique to you and your blog? What gives your blog an edge?
My blog is unique because I grew up in a family of bargain hunters. My grandma (dad's mom) used to go to Dayton's every day and get stuff on super sale. She would leave the tag on and then brag about how much of a discount she got on it. "Well, this used to be 150 but I got it on sale for only 10 dollars." Plus, my mom is a super bargain hunter and never bought anything without it being on sale or having a coupon. I used to hate this about her but now that I'm older, I love it. She instilled in me the love of the hunt and finding the best deals. Now, I apply that knowledge in thrift stores and seeing how to get the look I like for less. Most of my favorite things and the ones I get the most compliments on are thrift finds. It makes me so happy to say "Oh it was only three bucks!" I hope people will find some helpful tips and inspiration from my blog.

11 comments:

  1. I think you are doing a great job! Welcome and good luck, darlin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Louise, you're a peach! I hope to prove you right :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on completing your first FBFF question set! And welcome to the group. I'm looking forward to seeing what else you have to say in the weeks ahead. - Katy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really interesting questions! It is so hard to not get sucked into comparisons; sometimes I actually cut myself off from reading blogs that get to me!
    And in response to your question: I take my own pictures; it's a self-timer & tripod set up. Maybe once a month I get help & I always credit the photographer (my father/friend/etc) in the post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I need to take a lesson on tripod pictures from you. Yours always turn out so great! Thanks for the comment!
    KT, I'm really excited to join the group and I look forward to next week's questions!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope, and it's likely, that you will feel less pressure as you discover that you get to be you, with a whole bunch of us supporting your endeavor!

    On a different note, I think you have your comments default to "don't allow" because I had to click on the time stamp to leave a comment. I only know this because it was happening to me too and I just fixed it:)

    Welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I grew up with bargain hunters, too! I'm always amazed what some people spend on their clothes that they wear on the blogs!

    The Auspicious Life

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome to FBFF!!

    I totally know what you mean about hating how your mum used to get everything with money off/coupons - same with my mum. I used to wish she'd buy the nicer/ not reduced stuff. Now that I'm a bit older, I am exactly the same as her!! It's true what they say - we all become our mothers!!! Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Welcome to FBFF!!

    I totally know what you mean about hating how your mum used to get everything with money off/coupons - same with my mum. I used to wish she'd buy the nicer/ not reduced stuff. Now that I'm a bit older, I am exactly the same as her!! It's true what they say - we all become our mothers!!! Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope, and it's likely, that you will feel less pressure as you discover that you get to be you, with a whole bunch of us supporting your endeavor!

    On a different note, I think you have your comments default to "don't allow" because I had to click on the time stamp to leave a comment. I only know this because it was happening to me too and I just fixed it:)

    Welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think you are doing a great job! Welcome and good luck, darlin!

    ReplyDelete