Friday, January 21, 2011

Favorite Finds and FBFF Friday!

Is that enough F's for you? Well, F it because today is f packed. :)

First (haha) we have favorite finds Friday! If you forgot what that is (or weren't a reader yet which is probably the case), I'll tell you. I pick one or 2 of my favorite thrift/vintage finds and share them with you!

I can't really remember where I got this shirt but I love it to pieces. You can layer under it, put a cardigan over it or wear it alone. I love wearing it in the spring with a pair of jean cutoffs and my chucks. I'm sure you will see this styled soon!
Winter 2010 029_edited-1

Winter 2010 033_edited-1
Isn't this lace so cute!

Now for the FBFF questions!

1. Most readers and fellow fashion bloggers value authenticity in the blogs they read. How would you describe blog/blogger authenticity?
I would describe authenticity of the feeling of being herself/himself. I think that the public can tell when a blogger is honest and open, as well as when they are being less than honest. Even through writing and images, I get a feeling about the person and whether they are authentic or not.

2. When it comes to your blog how to you infuse it with that true/authentic feeling?
I just try to write in a way that I would speak to you if you were in front of me. I want people to get a sense of my personality through my images and writing. I am also thinking of putting in a weekly feature that shows what I actually wear to work. I struggle to wear things that are my style at work. 1 because I don't think they would always fly and 2 I just don't care enough to show my style at work.

3. Have you stopped following a blog in the last three months? What made you lose interest?
I haven't stopped following a particular blog but there are a couple I do follow less regularly. I feel like this person just posts pictures to "show off" all their expensive items and does it for the notoriety. They don't really say what they were doing or what the day consisted of when they wore the outfit and it makes it seem fake. I could put on all my fanciest clothes and take pictures but how does that ring true to everyone else? I wouldn't wear those things everyday and neither would most readers. I want to present my style as affordable as well as attainable. Plus, it would be dishonest to myself and my goal of developing my personal style.

4. We can't communicate effectively on our blogs, something we don't live in real life... what are some ways you try to live an authentic life?
Wow, that is a good question. I learned a long time ago (well, high school) that I don't have the ability to be fake. I am also a horrible liar. I came to realize that I don't like to be around people that make me feel used, unwelcome or fake. If I can't be myself with those people then I don't need to be around them. So, once I started college I vowed to avoid those people and avoid drama. You can't really avoid it at all times but if I saw a person who seemed to cause it a lot, I would try not to be around them. I also live an authentic life through my clothes. I don't spend a lot of money on clothes but I do have quite a few. I shop at the thrift store, vintage stores, Target, etc. and I love telling people that. I have a friend who always asks where I got clothes that she likes. She jokingly said she should stop asking because I always say the thrift store. It makes her mad because she knows she won't be able to get the same thing! I think if you show through your style that you are making smart choices and not buying extravagant things, people will see that as authentic.

5. Give a shout-out... Which bloggers do you think are truly genuine and why?
This is hard to narrow down. The first one that pops into my mind is Kendi. I think that her sense of humor shows through in her writing and I never feel she is pretending or fake. I think her idea of the 30 for 30 really shows that she thinks about her readers and is trying to give herself and them the challenge of using what they have. I also really like Jentine. I love how she finds all these great items at the thrift store and brags about how cheap they were. That is my kind of gal! She also lets everyone know that she is a landscaper by day and the clothes that we see are her everyday wardrobe when she gets home from work. I think that is pretty genuine. I like are Jen and Elizabeth for the same reason. They are both so honest in their feelings and what is going on in their lives. It makes you feel like you know them and you want to be apart of their lives. I feel like that isn't easy to do because you could come off whiny, boastful, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment